Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Early Arrival


Boston Phillip Stephens made his debut on June 3, 2009 at 3:55a.m-only 5 weeks early!

My pregnancy seemed perfectly fine up until the middle of May. I began having extremely swollen ankles and feet! On Thursday,May 28 I had my routine checkup. When the doctor began the sonogram it was extremely sensitive and somewhat painful. She told me that I needed to go to the hospital to be monitored. I had no idea what I was in for... Ryan drove me to Baylor Frisco were I was admitted to check on the baby and to see if I was having contractions. Low and behold my bp was 160/120! These are stroke numbers. Also, I began to have stronger contractions. They stopped them with two stinging shots in my arm.

My stay only lasted until Saturday. Doctors orders were to stay off my feet and do NOTHING! I was diagnosed with Preeclampsia, gall stones, and an inflamed gall bladder. Gall Bladder surgery to come after the baby!

Once home Ryan was at my every beck and call. He is amazing! Every meal was brought to me, he took my blood pressure three times a day, and he made sure that I didn't need a thing. What a great husband. Sunday was successful, Monday seemed just fine, then came TUESDAY! Oh, what a day. I stayed the night at my mom's house Monday night, so she could take me to my three doctors appointments while Ryan was at work.

Tuesday, June 2
8:45am-sonogram
Felt fine. Mom went with me. I was pumped for her to see for the first time. He would look like a real baby! We go in and my blood pressure was again off the charts! He then started the sono. Put the magic wand on my belly and began looking. I thought everything was just fine. Wrong. According to his next words-your baby has not grown and you have low amniotic fluid-"YOU NEED TO HAVE THE BABY TODAY!" My thought- Are you kidding me? I was in complete shock...My mom held my hand as I called Ryan to meet us at the hospital. So much for my other appointments. Ha Ha

10:30 am. Admitted and started induction
Day went by...IV, drugs, CONTRACTIONS IN LOWER BACK
I never really dilated as normal and began to get a little anxious by the evening. Finally able to rest until around 3:00am Wednesday morning. My doctor came in to share some interesting news. I was about to have an emergency C-section due to the baby's heartbeat dropping each time I had a contraction. I closed my eyes and said a short prayer before being wheeled into the operating room. Ryan held my hand as they began. At 3:55 my sweet boy was born. He weighed in at a whopping 3 lbs. 13.76 oz. and was 17 3/4 inches long. They tried to show him to me, but I soon passed out from medication. Ryan went to the NICU with him while they checked all of his vitals. Later that evening they wheeled my bed into the NICU so that I could see my precious bundle of joy! I just cried. He had tubes and wires all over him. It was not at all how I thought my delivery would be...but he was here and healthy (Apgar score-9).

1 comment:

talpagirl said...

Wow! I have to say, as I sit here teared up, that is the scariest thing in the world. You truly have an angel on your shoulder.